This Position is Now Closed
As an Open Privacy Staff Designer you will have shared responsibility for setting the direction of the look and feel of Open Privacy’s software projects and websites.
You will work closely with the director of engineering and the research director to define and implement a coherent style for Open Privacy projects.
While this posting is limited to a 6 month contract, our hope is to be able to procure additional funding in 2020 to maintain this position.
Must be eligible to work in Canada
Ideally the staff member would be based in or near Vancouver, but we will consider remote work for the right applicant. We regret that we are unable to hire remote applicants outside Canada at this time.
Successful applicants will:
- Demonstrate design knowledge and expertise in various free & open source software applications (ability to work directly with SVGs is a must)
- Have a portfolio that demonstrates work products in line with Open Privacy’s mission
- As they will primarily be contributing to our software development efforts (including associated web pages), experience in UI/UX and iconography come first
- Secondarily, we will also consider experience producing other work products relevant to our non-profit mission, such as infographics, flyers, etc.
- Have experience interfacing with basic web, desktop and/or mobile application development
- Have experience within and/or working with marginalized communities
- Have an interest in privacy enhancing technologies
Studies have shown that people from marginalized communities are less likely to apply to job postings if they don’t believe they are 100% qualified for the role. We want to encourage applicants to apply even if you think you do not meet every single criteria!
The primary consideration for selecting which applicants advance to the interview stage will be their portfolio. No formal credentials are necessary and candidates with atypical learning backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
We are particularly interested in design philosophies that prioritize inclusion and consent over conformance to mainstream/prescriptivist trends.
What You Will Be Working On
Cwtch - our metadata resistant group messaging platform. This will be your primary area of focus, working with the team to design new interfaces, providing input on existing flows, and incorporating feedback from people who use Cwtch.
In addition to Cwtch, you will also be directed to engage in other Open Privacy projects, including this website & our communication and fundraising campaigns.
Tool & Technologies
These are some of the tools that we use in our work. Familiarity will be useful to applicants, but experience with similar tools will be considered and we are receptive to advocacy for other FOSS tooling.
- Qt / QML
- git / Gitea
- Jekyll / Markdown
Most of our communication is done via Signal & Cwtch groups, with occasional meetings via other platforms.
Please email a portfolio demonstrating the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org along with answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to work at Open Privacy?
- How did you hear about this job posting?
- Are you eligible to work in Canada?
A cover letter and resume are not required, but if you attach either or both to your application they will be evaluated.